Monday, June 7, 2010

June 5-6 - Tour of the Cathedral & Beach with the Family

Sat. June 5th
• Woke up early because I had to meet my group in front of the Catedral (Cathedral) at 9:30 AM. We took a guided tour and it was really interesting. There are these 2 gorgeous stained glass windows that reflect the light and create rainbow prisms everywhere. There is an altar, different artifacts, and even some tombs of Jaime I and Jaime II, kings of España. A really cool fact about the Cathedral is that it’s the only cathedral in Europe that is reflected on the water

• After the tour, I ate lunch with a friend in an outdoor café in the Plaza de Cort. Because it was the weekend, there were lots of street entertainment and we watched this African musical group playing instruments while other men did flips and stuff on the ground. It was pretty cool. As we were walking back home, we stumbled upon another festival in the Plaza de España. There were floats made out of recycled products and there was a live band playing (which I took a video of)

• I then went back home and hung out for a while. I was able to upload tons of new pictures on Facebook, so feel free to check those out if you haven’t already. My host mother Loli told me that Eva and Sira were coming by at 6 PM and we were all going to go to the town of Valldemossa.

• Valldemossa is this quaint little town where famous artists, writers, and painters live and create masterpieces. We walked up and down the streets and walked through a pretty garden of flowers. After, we got ice cream and this type of sweetened bread with sugar on top. I got Menta Chocolate (Mint Chocolate Chip) ice cream which was delicious!

• We came back home for dinner. When I first saw my plate, it looked like some type of meat with tomato sauce on top. However, I learned that it was a type of eggplant with meat inside. I tried it and it was pretty good. I hung out with my padres for a little bit and watched movies in Spanish and then went to bed.


Sun. June 6th
• I got to sleep in for the very first time today! I slept until 10 AM which was quite lovely. Around 11 AM, Eva, Toni, and Sira came to my house to take me to the beach with them. We also stopped at Mami, Virginia, Jaime, and Miguel’s house to drop food off and then followed them to the beach.

• The beach was really nice and wasn’t a tourist beach. The water was a beautiful blue color and there were sailboats past the buoys. All 3 of the grandkids pretty much know how to swim and weren’t afraid of the water at all. Their favorite game is to jump over the waves and they would take my hand or their parents and we would jump together. Sira is an awesome swimmer and bravely put her face in the water and kicked with her feet.

• Afterward, I sat on the sand with them and dug a hole until we reached water below. We built a wall around our hole to keep the incoming waves out. I also played with their sand toys and built different types of sandcastles with them. Their parents called me an au pair and jokingly said that I was hired to spend the rest of the summer in Mallorca and look after their kids. I was very flattered : )

• We spent about 2 hours at the beach and then packed up to go back to Mami and Virginia’s house. We changed our clothes and ate a big lunch outside in their backyard. I tried a pasta salad that was made of pasta, cheese, tomato, and some other ingredients. There was also chicken tenders (my favorite), tortilla that resembled an omelet, and bread with tomato sauce on top. It was all very delicious!

• The family very generously offered me use of their laptop since they know I don’t have a solid internet connection at home. I was able to check my email and Facebook and talk to my parents and Josh for a little bit through email. While I was on the computer, the adults were watching the tennis championship with Rafael Nadal. It was so funny watching them and hearing them cheer “¡Vamanos Rafaaa!” I watched the last set with them and watched Rafa win and become the #1 tennis player in the world!! It was very exciting!

• Toni and Eva dropped me back off at my house and it was now time for homework. We were assigned a lot of homework in my Spanish language class and luckily I was able to access the Internet while doing most of it. I had penne and tomato sauce with bacon bits for dinner and I’m always a fan of penne. After dinner, I finished up my homework and went to bed.

Tomorrow is our 3rd excursion to a winery called Bodega Mayoral. I’m very excited for the wine tasting! Ciao!

P.S. I changed the settings on my blog and now anyone should be able to comment. So if you're reading this and wish to leave me a comment, please do so and I'll be able to see if it works! Muchas gracias :D

2 comments:

  1. I've been watching the french open and i was excited that rafa won too! love him! haha

    all of the meals you're eating sound delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having a great time exploring new places and trying new foods. So happy to hear you are doing both. Hopefully your willingness to try new foods will continue back home too! Your host family and extended relatives are providing you with such a nice environment and fantastic opportunities to experience Mallorca as a native. Between your small individualized classes and interactions with your new "familia" you are having the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy cada minuto!

    ReplyDelete